Average Daily Table Revs (ADTR) jumped this past week to HK$1,065, up 38% YoY. Our full month GGR projection including slots is for YoY growth of 7-11%. Remember, our initial April projection was 12-16% growth and we suspect that low hold is the primary driver of the underperformance.
We continue to believe that growth will reaccelerate in May, potentially up 20% YoY. With the stocks down 20-25% in less than 2 months, the May performance could be a big catalyst. For now, this past week’s strong data should alleviate some concerns of a massive VIP slowdown.
Market shares continued to regress toward the mean. Despite a 110bp drop from the mtd as of last week, LVS is still tracking above recent trend. MPEL came down from the clouds this past week but still is tracking well above recent trend. Galaxy is the only laggard from recent trend although share looks much better than it did last week.
The federales are unlikely to approve a tax-free spin
CALL TO ACTION:
We believe a tax-free spinoff to shareholders of a REIT by Pinnacle Entertainment is a low probability event. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the fundamentals aren’t good and new competition risk remains high.
Based on the Pinnacle Entertainment Form 13D filing by Orange Capital (“Orange”) and PNK stock price up almost 6% yesterday, we wanted to revisit the comments we made regarding PNK and a potential PNK REIT spin four weeks ago during our Goodwin Proctor REIT Thought Leader Conference Call regarding Boyd Gaming’s potential conversion.
First and foremost, similar to Orange, we believe a REIT spin is a worthy endeavor and strategy for lowering the cost of capital for a large portion of the current PNK enterprise. However, we also believe a potential tax-free REIT spin is a low probability event for Pinnacle Entertainment. As we stated during our conference call, PNK may be able to affect a less attractive taxable spin-off of the REIT or potentially sell real estate to an existing REIT.
Hurdles to a tax-free spin:
- Most importantly, Orange assumes the receipt of a tax-free spin Private Letter Ruling (PLR) by the Internal Revenue Service. We note, Lamar Outdoor announced in August 2012, it would pursue a REIT conversion and as of today has not yet received an Internal Revenue Service PLR.
- Orange also assumes House Ways & Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp’s February 25, 2014 proposed REIT rule modifications will not be enacted.
- The Camp Proposals would prevent these transactions from being tax-free to the distributing corporation and its shareholders by providing that a REIT cannot be a distributing corporation or a controlled corporation in a Section 355 distribution.
- The Camp Proposals also provide that any distributing or controlled corporation involved in a Section 355 spinoff must wait 10 years before making a REIT election.
- The Camp Proposals would apply to all spinoffs occurring after February 26, 2014 unless a binding commitment to complete the spinoff was in place prior to February 26, 2014
- We believe there is bipartisan support for eliminating tax-free REIT spins. The IRS is unlikely to provide PLR with the political momentum moving against these types of transactions.
Orange Capital’s assumptions and where we differ:
- Orange assumes a $700m equity raise pre-spin. That’s a big equity deal.
- Post transaction valuation assumptions - Orange assumes:
- Significantly higher REIT (Prop-Co) EV/EBITDA multiples of 13x to 15x versus our 10x, 12x and 14x
- Significantly lower REIT (PropCo) G&A of $15m vs. our $31m assumption
- OpCo EBITDA of $280 million vs. our $313 million
- REIT EBITDA of $335 million vs. our $309 million (G&A differential)
- Orange ignores the NOLs currently on PNK’s balance sheet - and the inherent value to shareholders. PNK’s income will be mostly shielded from taxes for a long time even without a REIT spin. As of December 31, 2013, PNK had $553 million of federal net operating losses, which can be carried forward 20 years and will begin to expire in 2028. PNK also had $862 million of state net operating loss carry-forwards, predominantly in Louisiana and Missouri, that expire on various dates beginning in 2014.
- Pro forma Orange assume a REIT leverage of 6.25x debt/EBITDA will have access to capital for acquisitions.
- The PNK REIT could be 40% smaller than GLPI which could be a hurdle to a decent trading multiple
- Future potential new competition in Illinois would adversely impact the revenues and EBITDA of Pinnacle’s Ameristar East Chicago property.
- Casinos in Texas look inevitable to us which brings into question the sustainability of fixed rent payments from the PNK’s numerous and large Louisiana properties
- Orange assumes the REIT will be competitive in bidding for new acquisitions while GLPI has sourced one small acquisition in its limited standalone life.
The total percentage of successful long and short trading signals since the inception of Real-Time Alerts in August of 2008.
LONG SIGNALS 80.73%
SHORT SIGNALS 78.79%
Takeaway: Lower-highs on lower-volume doesn't confirm a renewed bull.
If you look at the complexion of the stock market sell-offs and bounces over the last month, US Equity Volume on DOWN DAYS is +8% versus the 1-month average. Volume on UP DAYS is -5% versus the average.
Over the last 5 (up) days, volume has been -14% versus the average. Yesterday, US Equity volume was -18% vs the 1-month average.
In other words, lower-highs on lower-volume doesn’t confirm a renewed bull.
Subscribe to Hedgeye.
Client Talking Points
Leaders lead on the equity front this morning with Denmark up +2.2% (+15.2% year-to-date) and Ireland up +0.9% (+9.9% YTD). Both are crushing the Dow as the European Currency continues to strengthen versus the US Dollar.
If you look at the complexion of the selloffs and bounces for the last month, US Equity Volume on DOWN DAYS is up +8% versus the one month average, whereas volume on UP DAYS is down -5% versus the average – for the last five days volume has been down -14% versus the average. Sorry, lower-highs on lower-volume don’t confirm a renewed bull.
It’s just sad to watch the poor thing meander in no-man’s land. The Yellen Fed restated its view last week that it has 0% intention to fight inflation – so rock on commodities, as oil and Energy (XLE) join what’s becoming a broad based breakout. Monetary policy has consequences.
|FIXED INCOME||21%||INTL CURRENCIES||19%|
Top Long Ideas
Hologic is emerging from an extremely tough period which has left investors wary of further missteps. In our view, Hologic and its new management are set to show solid growth over the next several years. We have built two survey tools to track and forecast the two critical elements that will drive this acceleration. The first survey tool measures 3-D Mammography placements every month. Recently we have detected acceleration in month over month placements. When Hologic finally receives a reimbursement code from Medicare, placements will accelerate further, perhaps even sooner. With our survey, we'll see it real time. In addition to our mammography survey. We've been running a monthly survey of OB/GYNs asking them questions to help us forecast the rest of Hologic's businesses, some of which have been faced with significant headwinds. Based on our survey, we think those headwinds are fading. If the Affordable Care Act actually manages to reduce the number of uninsured, Hologic is one of the best positioned companies.
Construction activity remains cyclically depressed, but has likely begun the long process of recovery. A large multi-year rebound in construction should provide a tailwind to OC shares that the market appears to be underestimating. Both residential and nonresidential construction in the U.S. would need to roughly double to reach post-war demographic norms. As credit returns to the market and government funded construction begins to rebound, construction markets should make steady gains in coming years, quarterly weather aside, supporting OC’s revenue and capacity utilization.
Darden is the world’s largest full service restaurant company. The company operates +2000 restaurants in the U.S. and Canada, including Olive Garden, Red Lobster, LongHorn and Capital Grille. Management has been under a firestorm of criticism for poor performance. Hedgeye's Howard Penney has been at the forefront of this activist movement since early 2013, when he first identified the potential for unleashing significant value creation for Darden shareholders. Less than a year later, it looks like Penney’s plan is coming to fruition. Penney (who thinks DRI is grossly mismanaged and in need of a major overhaul) believes activists will drive material change at Darden. This would obviously be extremely bullish for shareholders and could happen fairly soon driving shares materially higher.
Three for the Road
TWEET OF THE DAY
Gold-Corn +0.14-0.66%; both are yellow and beating the Dow, handily, YTD #BuyInflation @KeithMcCullough
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"If I look at the masses, I will never act. If I look at the one, I will." - Mother Theresa
STAT OF THE DAY
Netflix announced plans to raise prices by $1-2 per month, initially for new customers but eventually for everyone, “to acquire more content and deliver an even better streaming experience.” With the company set to surpass 50 million streaming subscribers by the second half of 2014, the price increase could add between $600 million and $1.2 billion to the company’s revenues within the next two years. (Forbes)
TICKERS: PNK, MGM, NCLH, RCL, CCL
EVENTS TO WATCH
Tuesday, April 22
- IGT FQ2 earnings: 5 p.m. Conf Call , Passcode: IGT
Thursday, April 24
- WYN Q1 earnings - 8:30 a.m. , Passcode: Wyndham
- LHO Q1 earnings - 9:30 a.m.
- PENN Q1 earnings - 10 a.m.
- RCL Q1 earnings - 10 a.m.
- HOT Q1 earnings - 10:30 a.m. , Passcode: 12049644
- LVS Q1 earnings - 4:30 p.m. ; PW: 18236529
- LA March revenues out
Friday, April 25
- PEB Q1 earnings – 9:00 a.m.
Monday, April 28
- CHH Q1 earnings – 10:00 a.m. , Passcode: 70683172
Tuesday, April 29
- NCLH Q1 earnings
- VAC Q1 earnings – 10:00 a.m. , Passcode: 4679876
- MGM Q1 earnings – 11:00 a.m. , Passcode: 20455736
PNK - Activist group Orange Capital has acquired a 4.5% stake in PNK. Orange Capital would like PNK to consider a REIT spin-off.
TAKEAWAY: We are highly skeptical that PNK could obtain a Private Letter Ruling from the IRS for a tax-free spin-off. That doesn't mean there aren't other avenues for unlocking real estate value.
MGM - has begun site preparation for its Prince George's County casino and could start construction in July,
TAKEAWAY: On time timetable
NCLH - announced its DASH sale, offering exceptional savings on all sailings of three days or longer, fleet-wide. Guests who book a Norwegian cruise vacation from Tuesday, April 22, 2014 through Friday, April 25, 2014, can receive up to $250 per stateroom to spend on board (based on cruise length and stateroom category) and reduced deposits. Air credits up to $1000, Military, AARP and Latitudes Rewards discounts also apply to select sailings.
TAKEAWAY: This is a WAVE sale for post-Wave...not good.
CCL - Princess pulls back to one ship in Japan, adds shorter cruises Seatrade Insider
For 2015, its third season in Japan, Princess Cruises will deploy Diamond Princess but not Sun Princess, which is going to Australia. The line will also introduce cruises as short as three nights to appeal to local travelers seeking a quick get-away.
TAKEAWAY: Decision likely based on tough demand environment in Japan.
RCL -entered into a credit agreement for the US dollar financing of a portion of the third Oasis-class ship (the “Dollar Facility agreement”) for 178 million euros. Oasis 3 is expected to be delivered Q2 2016.
Tiger Resort - (Macau Business Daily) Okada's Manila integrated resort will be ready to open by end of 2015. With an investment ranging from US$1.3 billion to US$1.5 billion, the first phase will focus on gaming. It will offer 1,000 rooms with 3,000 slot machines and 500 tables, the majority of which will be for baccarat. For the gaming promoters market, the complex will offer nine junket rooms, the biggest with 20 tables, and an option for six more.
Being an integrated resort casino, the Tiger will also have, in this first phase, some 7,500 square metres of shopping area, 2,400 parking places, nightclub and beachclub and a dancing fountain, similar to the one in front of the Bellagio in Las Vegas “but bigger”, says the vice-president for casino operations, Matt Hurst.
Hurst said Universal Entertainment is “very confident” that the final license for Tiger Resort will be issued by the Philippine authorities, namely PAGCOR.
TAKEAWAY: Still unresolved issues before we pencil this timetable in.
Packer eyes Cosmopolitan - (The Australian) The owner of the Cosmopolitan, Deutsche Bank, is calling for bids before the close of business today. Crown Resorts headed by James Packer could bid US$ 2 billion. The Cosmopolitan, built at a cost of about US$4 billion, opened in 2010 and has never turned a profit.
TAKEAWAY: $2 billion still sounds like a lot to us.
Crimea casinos - Crimean first deputy PM hopeful about gaming zone Macau Business
Crimean First Deputy Premier Rustam Temirgaliyev thinks a gaming zone in Crimea may prove to be a serious rival to Macau, Las Vegas and Monaco. Temirgaliyev said, “Our task is to create a tourist cluster, which will operate year-round, using a gambling zone as an advantage. We have been considering construction of a gambling township on Crimea's southern coast and have been considering several more sites.” He said plans would be drawn up by the middle of May.
TAKEAWAY: Not sure the Macau operators are exactly bracing for this new competition just yet.
Japan - Japan Theme Park Considers Buying Island to Boost Casino Appeal Bloomberg
Huis Ten Bosch theme park is thinking of buying a deserted offshore island in an expansion to boost its appeal as a possible site for a casino resort. “We are planning to buy new land to offer more games at the Huis Ten Bosch theme park,” said Hideo Sawada, chairman of the Tokyo-based travel agency and park operator. He said at least 100 billion yen ($974 million) is needed to fund a gambling resort at the park.
H.I.S., the country’s largest listed travel agency, plans to lease land to casino developers at Huis Ten Bosch in Nagasaki on the western edge of Japan’s Kyushu island. The travel agency is in talks with video game makers in Japan and overseas to partner on building what Sawada calls a “Game Kingdom” at Huis Ten Bosch. The facility will offer a variety of interactive games, including a paintball-like battle simulation known as “survival games” in Japan.
TAKEAWAY: Let the jockeying begin...
STR - Upper upscale REVPAR ended March up 8.5%.
TAKEAWAY: Q1 UUP REVPAR will be solid at ~6.5% but we think April will show a sequential deceleration.
Hotel M&A - Concord Hospitality Enterprises announced the sale of a portfolio of 13 premium-branded, select-service hotels to companies owned by a global investment fund for approximately $240 million in an all-cash transaction. Concord will continue to operate the hotels under a long-term management agreement. The portfolio is comprised of a total of 1,650 rooms representing 11 Marriott and two Hilton-branded hotels
TAKEAWAY: Average price per key of $145k which seems about right for a transaction in the upscale segment.
Hedgeye remains negative on consumer spending and believes in more inflation. Following a great call on rising housing prices, the Hedgeye Macro/Financials team is turning decidedly less positive.
TAKEAWAY: We’ve found housing prices to be the single most significant factor in driving gaming revenues over the past 20 years in virtually all gaming markets across the US.
GET THE HEDGEYE MARKET BRIEF FREE
Enter your email address to receive our newsletter of 5 trending market topics. VIEW SAMPLE
By joining our email marketing list you agree to receive marketing emails from Hedgeye. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in one of the emails.