EVENTS TO WATCH
- PIR - Earnings Call: 11:00am
TGT - Target trying to woo back Canadian consumers with video apology
- "Target has taken to YouTube in order to apologize to Canadians, using the voices of its employees to take responsibility for a disappointing first year in the country. The two-and-a-half-minute video features interviews with Target employees reflecting on the problems the company has faced and promising improvement in the future."
VIDEO LINK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIBqv2BDU4E
Takeaway: At least TGT finally recognizes that it has a brand problem in Canada. Whether or not this plea for forgiveness actually works is for the consumer to decide. But, we don't think execution is the only thing to blame for TGT's underwhelming results North of the border. The fact is that Canadian marketplace can't support the revenue projections the company set. In order the hit the $6bil revenue target in FY17, TGT Canada would have to eclipse the US store share of wallet in 4 years. Consensus estimates have come down about $1.3bil since we published our report in late April and are now under $4bil, but we think numbers are still too high.
TGT - Target Sweetens Yields on $2 Billion Bond Sale
- "Target Corp. increased yields to sell $2 billion of bonds on Tuesday, as the retailer continues to deal with the fallout from a customer-data breach late last year."
- "The company priced five-year bonds to yield 2.348% and 10-year bonds to yield 3.553%, 0.60 percentage point and 0.90 percentage point more than comparable U.S. Treasurys. Earlier in the day, Target shopped the bonds to yield about 0.50 percentage point and about 0.80 percentage point more."
- "Target said it planned to use proceeds from the sale for general corporate purposes and to buy back existing debt, which carried higher interest rates. Concurrently with Tuesday's bond sale, the retailer offered to buy back bonds maturing between 2028 and 2038."
UA - Under Armour is bringing "Brand House" concept to Chicago
- "Under Armour said today it will open its sixth so-called 'Brand House' in Chicago in March of 2015 at 600 N. Michigan Ave., literally a stone's throw from a large Nike brand store at 669 N. Michigan Ave."
- "Under Armour's new Chicago shop will be housed in a 30,000-square-foot space...The new Chicago store will be the sixth specialty retail outlet Under Armour has opened and the largest to date."
WMT, COST, AMZN - Big Retailers Agree to List Unit Prices on Websites
- "Some of the country’s largest supermarkets and drugstores have agreed to display prices by unit of measurement, as well as by item, on their websites and mobile apps, to help customers slice though the confusion that sometimes arises from different packaging and discounts."
- "Major retailers including Walmart, CVS and Costco have agreed to the deal, brokered by the office of New York’s attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman."
- "Mr. Schneiderman had aimed even wider but was rebuffed by one online retailing giant, Amazon.
- 'Amazon refused to participate in this consumer-oriented initiative,' Mr. Schneiderman’s office said in a statement."
WMT - Wal-Mart Advances Made in USA Plan
- "Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is determined to give a boost to apparel and textile production in America."
- "In town for the Commerce Department’s SelectUSA summer conference, Michelle Gloeckler, Wal-Mart’s senior vice president of home and the executive leading the U.S. manufacturing initiative, told WWD that fostering more apparel and textile production is key for the retail giant’s Made in America initiative."
ZQK - Julien David Teams with Quiksilver
- "The designer, best known for his laid-back city suits, has teamed up with U.S. surfwear brand Quiksilver. The three-year partnership will span six capsule collections and is to include men’s board shorts, wetsuits, rashguards and T-shirts."