Editor's note: The brief excerpt and chart below are from Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough's "Morning Newsletter." For more information on this product and how you can become a subscriber please click here.
What’s fascinating about watching both the US stock market futures and the bond market this morning is that neither of them seem to care whatsoever about Old Media’s politicized fear-mongering. Mr. Market is shutting the media’s message down.
That shouldn’t surprise you. As newspaper editors and television producers look backward, markets look forward. Up next is the US Employment Report for the month of September.
September (and the 3rd quarter in general) was one of the best quarters for US growth expectations in half a decade:
- US Growth Stocks hit all-time highs (for SEP Industrials (XLI) +5.4% and Consumer Discretionary (XLY) +5.1%)
- US (slow growth) Bonds and Utility stocks hit their YTD lows (for SEP Utilities (XLU) only +0.18%)
- US Equity Volatility (VIX) hit YTD lows as well
Then, mid-September, along came Bernanke, Boehner, and Obama …. and:
- US Growth Stocks started making a series of lower highs (down for 7 of the last 8 days)
- US (slow growth) Bonds and Utilities outperformed everything growth
- US Equity Volatility (VIX) ripped a +26% move to the upside in less than 2 weeks
Congrats to the Federal Reserve, Democrat, and Republican parties. It’s a tie – you all get a Hedgeye sticker for America’s biggest losers!