TALES OF THE RESTAURANT TAPE
- THI - Yesterday’s Restaurant industry drama - Tim Horton's announced that its CEO is leaving with the bizzare statement: " Don Schroeder no longer serves as president and CEO of the corporation." There is sure to more to this story in the coming days. The stock traded down 2.2% on strong volume.
- Yesterday, there were several stories about the possible buyout of Il Fornaio and Corner Bakery Café by Roark Capital Group. Roark also owns Focus Group, parent company of Auntie Anne's, Carvel, Cinnabon, Moe's Southwest Grill and Schlotzsky's.
- MCD - Pokémon Black White-themed Happy Meals arrive in participating McDonald's stores across North America beginning June 17. From June 17 through July 7, fans can purchase a Happy Meal featuring one of eight McDonald's exclusive Pokémon figures, including Pikachu and brand-new Pokémon Reshiram, Zekrom, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Zorua and Zoroark, as well as one of 12 Pokémon Trading Card Game cards.
- MCD - Is MCD backtracking a bit here? "Self-order kiosks are not designed to replace front-counter service, a spokesman for McDonald’s Europe said in an email. "Front counters remain a focal point of service where we have installed self-order kiosks, and customers can decide whether they wish to place their order at the counter or through kiosks. Staff are on hand in the dining area to assist customers using the kiosks." Deploying kiosks in European McDonald's wasn't about cutting costs.
- U.S. wheat futures led a rally in grain and soybean futures Wednesday, driven by world crop weather and production concerns
- GMCR - Despite being up 95% over the past 90 days, the stock continues to rise on strong volume studies.
- KKD gave back some of the 22% move over the past week.
- On the back on the CPKI news MSSR and PFCB put in a strong performance. MSSR and PFCB are running a close 2nd and 3rd in the “next-to-go-private” rumor mill. Volume studies were also strong yesterday.
- YUM - The Orient once again transcends culinary norms with China’s introduction of an Irish staple on an American food. The victim? Good ol’ KFC, doused with…Bailey’s Irish Cream?
- SBUX to raise prices of packaged coffee sold in its stores by 17%, move follows a rise of 14% for CPG range earlier this year.