• It's Coming...

    MARKET EDGES

    Identify global risks and opportunities with essential macro intel using Hedgeye’s Market Edges.

The Macau Metro Monitor, January 24, 2011

STANLEY HO GIVES UP SJM STAKES SJM, WSJ

Dr. Stanley Ho has transferred all but 100 shares of his 31.655% stake in SJM's parent company, Sociedade de Turismo e Diversoes de Macau, SA, to Lanceford Company Limited.  Lanceford Co. is controlled by Dr. Ho's 3rd wife, Chan Un-chan, who owns 50.55% of the company and by Dr. Ho's 2nd wife, Lucina Ho, who owns the remaining 49.45% of Lanceford.  Lucina Ho's children--Pansy Ho, Daisy Ho, Maisy Ho, Josie Ho and Lawrence Ho--each hold 20% of her stake.

The move may complicate the question of succession given the families of three of the tycoon's companions now each have significant stakes in SJM.  The Company states that there will be no change in management or strategic direction as a result of the share transfer.

 

GOV'T TO LAUNCH NEW LAND AUCTIONS Macau Daily TImes
Secretary for Transport and Public Works, Lau Si Io, said that one or two new land plots will be auctioned this year.  He stressed the Government is trying to make the land granting process more transparent.  The government had delayed the auction of the 3,400 square meters land parcel in Fai Chi Kei for the construction of no less than 500 small- and medium-sized residential units.

 

VISITOR ARRIVALS FOR DECEMBER 2010 DSEC

Total visitor arrivals rose by 11.6% YoY to 2,271,301.  Mainland China visitors increased by 18.8% YoY to 1,200,324 (52.8% of total), with 494,567 traveling under the Individual Visit Scheme.  Visitors from Hong Kong (667,595) and Republic of Korea (33,775) increased by 10.9% and 49.0% respectively; however, those from Taiwan (105,747), Malaysia (41,256), Japan (36,052), and Singapore (34,839) decreased by 7.4%, 10.2%, 5.8% and 11.9% respectively.  Total visitor arrivals reached 24,965,411 for the whole year of 2010, up by 14.8% YoY.

THE M3: HO TRANSFERS SJM SHARES; LAND AUCTIONS; S'PORE INFLATION; MGM JET - visitor


INFLATION IN S'PORE CONTINUED RISE IN DECEMBER Channel News Asia

Singapore CPI rose by 4.6% YoY in December.  For 2010, CPI rose by 2.8% YoY.

MGM MACAU LAUNCHES "GOLDEN LION JET" macaubusiness.com

MGM Macau has refurbished a TurboJet vessel as the “Golden Lion Jet”, which will sail between Hong Kong and Macau.  The refurbished jet made its debut on January 21.