Join our Hedgeye Demography analyst Neil Howe on a monthly research odyssey, as we dive into the latest news that loomed largest on his radar screen the past month.
Last month we examined the global demographic outlook, the gender divide regarding college attainment, and more results from the 2020 decennial census.
Here are my top insights from September 2021. Click the links below to view the full article.
Global Demography Review (9/22)
This month we hosted our sector's annual global demography review. We examined the direction of trends before the pandemic began. Then we looked at how Covid-19 did and did not change the trajectory of these trends.
The share of men enrolled in college is falling way behind the share of women. In the 2020-21 academic year, women made up a record 59.5% of all undergrads, leaving men at just 40.5%.
The first 2020 census results showed that America’s white population shrank for the first time ever. But behind this headline is a more complicated story reflecting shifts in how people self-identify.
Pandemic aid kept millions of Americans from sliding into poverty. New Census data indicate that the supplemental poverty rate fell to a record low 9.1% in 2020.
Gen-Xers Hitting The Wall (9/13)
As always, I encourage you to visit Demography World where you can find an archive of all our work. Your subscription includes daily NewsWires, other reports, and videos.
Managing Director, Demography
* * *
ABOUT NEIL HOWE
Neil Howe is a renowned authority on generations and social change in America. An acclaimed bestselling author and speaker, he is the nation's leading thinker on today's generations—who they are, what motivates them, and how they will shape America's future.
A historian, economist, and demographer, Howe is also a recognized authority on global aging, long-term fiscal policy, and migration. He is a senior associate to the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, D.C., where he helps direct the CSIS Global Aging Initiative.
Howe has written over a dozen books on generations, demographic change, and fiscal policy, many of them with William Strauss. Howe and Strauss' first book, Generations is a history of America told as a sequence of generational biographies. Vice President Al Gore called it "the most stimulating book on American history that I have ever read" and sent a copy to every member of Congress. Newt Gingrich called it "an intellectual tour de force." Of their book, The Fourth Turning, The Boston Globe wrote, "If Howe and Strauss are right, they will take their place among the great American prophets."
Howe and Strauss originally coined the term "Millennial Generation" in 1991, and wrote the pioneering book on this generation, Millennials Rising. His work has been featured frequently in the media, including USA Today, CNN, the New York Times, and CBS' 60 Minutes.
Previously, with Peter G. Peterson, Howe co-authored On Borrowed Time, a pioneering call for budgetary reform and The Graying of the Great Powers with Richard Jackson.
Howe received his B.A. at U.C. Berkeley and later earned graduate degrees in economics and history from Yale University.