THE M3: LABOUR AFFAIRS ON SANDS; MBS/MICE; MORE SINGAPORE PROPERTY RESTRICTIONS

The Macau Metro Monitor, August 31st 2010

MACAU LABOUR AFFAIRS GOES TRANSPARENT ON SANDS Macau Daily Times

The Labour Affairs Bureau said that, since June, it supervised the 15 recruitment actions made to hire local construction workers for the Sands' construction sites.  From the 5,511 candidates that were indicated by the Labour Affairs Bureau, the Macau Social Enterprise Company Limited, and the Macau Federation of Trade Unions, a total of 4,674 were selected for interview.  However, only 31% accepted to attend, and eventually only 803 people actually showed up at the interviews.  Of those, 268 were admitted – 140 have already signed a contract.  From April to July, Sands China’s subcontractors hired a total of 1,889 local workers.

MBS PULLS IN MICE CROWD Strait Times

MBS said it has sealed nearly 370 deals which will bring over 345,000 participants to its Sands Expo and Convention Centre. So far, 150 events have been concluded, drawing a crowd of 100,000 participants over a short period of four months. MBS believes these deals show its ability to draw marquee events and smaller intimate meetings, conferences and weddings. Also, MBS said it is expanding and working on more than 500 additional prospects for exhibitions, meetings, incentives and conventions.

STEEP HIKE IN DEVT CHARGES Strait Times

The Ministry of National Development will sharply revise the development charges (DC) for the next six months from Wednesday to end February.  Developers will have to fork out 13% more for landed and non-landed homes.