The Macau Metro Monitor, June 23rd, 2010
ADELSON COMMENTS Asia One News, Reuters, Bloomberg, Channel News Asia, SCMP, macaubusiness.com
- MBS could generate +$1 billion a year in EBITDA.
- Expects between 125,000 to 150,000 daily visitors to MBS once the casino is fully open by 2011. On average, there are 25,000 MBS visitors daily.
- MBS will primarily target customers from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, with an eye on other Southeast Asian countries like Thailand and Vietnam.
- Company officials said MBS received 500,000 visitors this month. (~550,000 people visited MBS in the first 25 days of May).
- “Macau is serving Hong Kong, Taiwan and southeast China... They are two different markets and they appeal to two different constituencies.”
- The Venetian Macao gets about 40,000 visitors to its shopping malls during the week and about 65,000 on weekends.
- Gaming in Las Vegas should return to pre-crisis levels within two years. "Gaming activity in Las Vegas will return to “+80%” of pre-crisis levels in 2011 and “probably about 100% in 2012.”
- "I am really keen on setting up an integrated resort experience on the lines of the Las Vegas strip in India, anywhere Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore or Delhi. But the government is sadly not keen.”
- Expressed interest in building Las Vegas-style casino strips in Greece, Italy, and Spain.
- “I believe we can put the equivalent of five plus Las Vegases, with 140,000 hotel rooms each in five different locations in Asia, and it still won’t saturate the demand"--referring to Asians' propensity to gamble.
- Expects 90% of LVS's revenue to come from Asia by 2020. (Asia accounted for 73% in 2009).
GOVT SAYS FOUR SEASON' SALES WILL ABIDE THE LAW Macau Daily Times
“Regarding the hotel [Four Seasons], the case will be carried out according to the law and the Government’s policies,” secretary for Transport and Public Works Lau Si Io yesterday told reporters. Secretary Lau has stressed that the apartment-hotel is not a housing complex and is subject to regulations similar to those of hotels.
VISITOR ARRIVALS FOR MAY 2010 DSEC
Total visitor arrivals surged by 31.8% YoY to 2,098,267. Visitors from Mainland China soared by 43.5% YoY to 1,135,430 (54.1% of total visitor arrivals), with 450,037 traveling to Macao under the Individual Visit Scheme (42.4% YoY). Visitors from Hong Kong (589,644); Taiwan, China (103,862) and Japan (36,778) rose by 20.5%, 6.0% and 39.5% respectively; visitors from India (25,631) and the Republic of Korea (25,341) also registered remarkable increases.
S'PORE CONSUMER PRICES UP 3.2% TO 14-MONTH HIGH IN MAY
Singapore's consumer prices climbed 3.2% on-year to a 14-month high in May. CPI rose 0.6% MoM.