MACAU TRACKING UP 50% FOR APRIL

Gaming revenues tracked through April 19th of HK$8.1bn and other tidbits we picked up this week.

 

 

We think Macau gaming revenues were HK$8.1bn through April 19th which puts the full month on the pace of a little over HK$12bn.  On a year over year basis, Macau is looking at around a +50% month off of an easy -7% comp last year.  Total gaming revenue was up 66%, 73%, and 42% in January, February, and March, respectively.

 

April growth looks strong.  Foot traffic has been good.  One caveat is that we heard volumes at LVS were not as strong as win due to higher than normal hold percentages.  We are trying to get a feel for the luck factor at other properties.  Going forward, with a full Golden Week (9 days vs only 3-5 last year because of financial crisis) May should be another strong month.  Also, Wynn Encore opened this week which should boost volumes but potentially hurt same store results.

 

In conjunction with the Wynn Encore opening this week, the company announced the development of Wynn Cotai with an opening timeframe of early 2013.  The sense from people on the ground in Macau is that early 2013 might be a bit aggressive but Wynn may be trying to appease the government. 

 

Here are some initial thoughts on Wynn Encore:

  • Given the day of mourning in China they don’t expect PR to be as aggressive but volumes shouldn’t be impacted that much.
  • Claim that Encore isn’t assuming any dilution in win per table… taking some of Starworld’s VIP business – but it’s hard to know
  • Our guy thinks that win per table will be down though (although hold comps were easy last year). 
  • Margins should get thinner – since VIP will become a larger % of total profits at the property
  • Mass numbers should drop as a result of credit falling away for premium players – and a lot of Wynn’s Mass play is “premium mass.”  Unclear if the new offering will help them – a lot of that will be impacted by credit policy

Other tidings:

  • Grand Lisboa's head of table games and  VP casino manager are leaving and going to Galaxy Cotai.
  • No word on visa restrictions. There are talks of additional tightening on the mainland – but nothing has happened.

Another French Revolution?

"Don't be complacent," writes Hedgeye Managing Director Neil Howe. "Tectonic shifts are underway in France. Is there the prospect of the new Sixth Republic? C'est vraiment possible."

read more

Cartoon of the Day: The Trend is Your Friend

"All of the key trending macro data suggests the U.S. economy is accelerating," Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough says.

read more

A Sneak Peek At Hedgeye's 2017 GDP Estimates

Here's an inside look at our GDP estimates versus Wall Street consensus.

read more

Cartoon of the Day: Green Thumb

So far, 64 of 498 companies in the S&P 500 have reported aggregate sales and earnings growth of 6.1% and 16.8% respectively.

read more

Europe's Battles Against Apple, Google, Innovation & Jobs

"“I am very concerned the E.U. maintains a battle against the American giants while doing everything possible to sustain so-called national champions," writes economist Daniel Lacalle. "Attacking innovation doesn’t create jobs.”

read more

An Open Letter to Pandora Management...

"Please stop leaking information to the press," writes Hedgeye Internet & Media analyst Hesham Shaaban. "You are getting in your own way, and blowing up your shareholders in the process."

read more

A 'Toxic Cocktail' Brewing for A Best Idea Short

The first quarter earnings pre-announcement today is not the end of the story for Mednax (MD). Rising labor costs and slowing volume is a toxic cocktail...

read more

Energy Stocks: Time to Buy? Here's What You Need to Know

If you're heavily-invested in Energy stocks it's been a heck of a year. Energy is the worst-performing sector in the S&P 500 year-to-date and value investors are now hunting for bargains in the oil patch. Before you buy, here's what you need to know.

read more

McCullough: ‘My 1-Minute Summary of My Institutional Meetings in NYC Yesterday’

What are even some of the smartest investors in the world missing right now?

read more

Cartoon of the Day: Political Portfolio Positioning

Leave your politics out of your portfolio.

read more

Jim Rickards Answers the Hedgeye 21

Bestselling author Jim Rickards says if he could be any animal he’d be a T-Rex. He also loves bonds and hates equities. Check out all of his answers to the Hedgeye 21.

read more

Amazon's New 'Big Idea': Ignore It At Your Own Peril

"We all see another ‘big idea’ out of Amazon (or the press making one up) just about every day," writes Retail Sector Head Brian McGough. "But whatever you do, DON’T ignore this one!"

read more