Takeaway: We are removing Kate Spade from Investing Ideas today.
Please note we are removing Kate Spade (KATE) from Investing Ideas today. According to Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough:
This is a PM’s call. Our Retail Sector Head Brian McGough’s research view hasn’t changed. But I’d much rather come back to an idea like this once the style factors and macro risks to the #LateCycle consumer play out.
While I'm glad I didn't have you capitulate and sell last week's lows in KATE, I'll be less glad if we don't take this bounce to lower-highs as a selling opportunity. Small cap, high beta - not the Style Factors in the market I want to be chasing and/or holding onto here.
After spending almost four years being bearish on McDonald’s, Hedgeye Managing Director and Restaurants Sector Head Howard Penney has turned positive on shares of MCD.
Penney recently presented his granular Best Long Idea Black Book outlining his bullish case for the company. His bullish call is predicated on three key points:
- The worst is behind us with a favorable risk/reward setup and a plan in place, now it’s all about execution;
- MCD is putting the customer first by optimizing the menu, decreasing the number of items, improving products, adjusting pricing, and adding new technology to enhance the customer experience
- MCD is lowering the cost structure through a number of key initiatives that will start hitting the P&L in 3Q15 at the same time sales driven initiatives hit the top-line.
Penney sees approximately 15%-30% upside in McDonald’s from here.
***If you’re an institutional investor and would like to see the MCD Black Book from July 10th or any other additional research from Howard please email email@example.com
Risk Managed Long Term Investing for Pros
Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough handpicks the “best of the best” long and short ideas delivered to him by our team of over 30 research analysts across myriad sectors.
Takeaway: Medicaid spending still strong through 2Q15, positive for earnings.
ACA Medicaid enrollment and spending
The data through 2Q15 shows a persistent positive consumption trend driven by the Medicaid expansion under the ACA. Per enrollee spending remains elevated, which is consistent with pent-up demand of the newly insured. Below, we forecast Medicaid enrollment through 2016 using the rate of change for the most recent months of enrollment data. We expect growth of Medicaid enrollment to slow into 2H15 while continuing to monitor per enrollee spending for signs of a reversion to Pre-ACA levels. Slowing enrollment and negative per enrollee spending in future periods remains a key risk for the US Medical Economy.
Please call or e-mail with questions.
WATCH THIS PRESENTATION LIVE BELOW
This Thursday, July 16th at 1:00PM ET, we invite you to join us live for a conference call on China. Led by senior macro analyst Darius Dale, the call will detail our revised outlook for the Chinese economy, our expectations for monetary and fiscal policy, as well as the associated investment implications.
KEY DISCUSSION TOPICS:
- Correction or Collapse?: Does the recent plunge in Chinese share prices represent an attractive buying opportunity (as several major sell-side and buy-side firms have suggested) or is it a harbinger of another leg down in the Chinese economy and a bearish phase transition across Chinese financial markets?
- Asset Class “Re-rotation” Risk: Our analysis is showing nascent signs of recovery throughout China’s real estate market. Will a continued positive inflection bode poorly for Chinese stocks?
- Renminbi Internationalization Impact: What impact, if any, will China’s push to make the CNY an international reserve currency have on the country’s financial markets and how will the recent crash in Chinese equities impact this drive?
- U.S. Toll Free:
- U.S. Toll:
- Confirmation Number: 13614418
- Materials: CLICK HERE
Also, for those of you who cannot join us live, we will be distributing a replay video of the call shortly after it concludes.
The Hedgeye Macro Team
GET THE HEDGEYE MARKET BRIEF FREE
Enter your email address to receive our newsletter of 5 trending market topics. VIEW SAMPLE
By joining our email marketing list you agree to receive marketing emails from Hedgeye. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in one of the emails.