Hedgeye Risk Management CEO Keith McCullough and JonesTrading chief market strategist Michael O’Rourke discuss geopolitical risk and whether the bull market in stocks is getting long in the tooth on Fox Business' "Opening Bell." According to McCullough, "the real bull market is in bonds, gold, and anything slow-growth, yield-chasing that reflects a slower economy."
The 3rd week of July provides us with the placeholder table revenue figure of HK$5,425 million or HK$775 million per day. Thus, we would caution investors not to rely on this number. The fourth and fifth (stub) weeks should provide some volatility to catch up on the placeholder 3rd week.
Our full month projection is for July YoY GGR growth down low single digits.
In terms of market share, Galaxy continues to crush it at the expense of MPEL and MGM. We remain negative on the Macau stocks general but like the long setup here for Galaxy.
Get The Macro Show and the Early Look now for only $29.95/month – a savings of 57% – with the Hedgeye Student Discount! In addition to those daily macro insights, you'll receive exclusive content tailor-made to augment what you learn in the classroom. Must be a current college or university student to qualify.
Takeaway: Hedgeye Retail Ideas List. WWW - international opportunity. KATE talks e-comm strategy.
HEDGEYE RETAIL IDEAS LIST
WWW - In Person: Jim Zwiers Takes Wolverine To New Heights
- Entering into your new position, what are your priorities?
- JZ: "The first is to lever the brands in the portfolio. Right now, our mix is about 50-50 in terms of U.S. pairs versus international pairs, and so that’s heavily weighted to the brands that were in the portfolio prior to the Performance & Lifestyle Group acquisitions [from Collective]."
- Will expansion into additional overseas markets be a priority?
- JZ:" Every once in a while, we ask whether there’s any other countries and territories left. [Laughs.] We definitely have scope; what we need to continue to drive now is scale. We have not achieved our optimal market share in any market in any region. We have a long ways to go to get to where we think we can get to in terms of operational excellence, in terms of demand planning and demand creation, but we’re taking steps in that direction, and it’s beginning to show some strong results."
- Sperry Top-Sider was lauded as one of the biggest overseas opportunities for Wolverine at the time of the acquisition. How much progress has that brand made internationally?
- JZ: "When you take some of our most penetrated brands, they’d be well above 50 percent of their pairs being sold globally. We’ve not committed to when that will happen for Sperry, but we know the trajectory and we’ve been able to execute it with many brands. We’re still in the first inning with Sperry international. Sperry is priority No. 1, with both new distributor sign-ups and in our owned operations."
Takeaway: At the time of the PLG acquisition in 2012, WWW was the most global footwear company in the world with over 60% of its unit sales coming outside the US, while International accounted for just 5% of sales for the four brands it acquired (Sperry, Saucony, Keds, and Stride-Rite). Over the next 5 years we see $600mm in International revenue opportunity for the acquired PLG brands as WWW layers these brands on to its global infrastructure spanning 200+ markets and 10,000+ points of distribution.
KATE - Kate Spade's Mary Beech Talks Brand Storytelling
- "[Mary Beech, Chief Marketing Officer] said when Kate Spade launched e-commerce, which accounts for more than 20 percent of sales, the brand committed to content and commerce. 'But the content wasn’t editorializing our products, it is true content — dance lessons, or recipes, or great tips for when you visit another place. The lifestyle side of Kate Spade was of equal importance to sales,' she said."
- "Illustrating the value of brand storytelling, Beech said the opening of Kate Spade’s first London store was a 'missed opportunity.' The unit opened in London with brick- and-mortar only...The company quickly added a worldofkatespade.com site that had no e-commerce element, but rather offered customers information about the brand. E-commerce in the U.K. is set to launch before the end of the year, and Beech said as the brand enters new markets, it would lead with digital storytelling, over and above physical locations."
Takeaway: KATE is a brand that built a strategy around selling product across multiple categories (handbags, accessories and apparel, etc…), to multiple affluent consumers (Kate Spade, KS Saturday, and Jack Spade) in several channels of distribution (wholesale, retail, dot.com, and concessions) in several regions of the world. These characteristics might be expected from a multi-billion dollar company. But keep in mind that KATE was less than $800mm in sales in FY13.
LULU - Lululemon seeks a leg up on knockoffs
- "Lululemon Athletica Inc. has filed a lawsuit in a U.S. federal court in Illinois targeting a sealed list of unidentified defendants that it says are China-based knockoff artists selling fake versions of its ubiquitous yoga pants and other merchandise online."
Herman Miller to acquire Design Within Reach
- "Herman Miller has entered into an agreement to acquire high-end furniture retailer Design Within Reach Inc. (DWR) for about $154 million in cash."
- “'This combination expands our reach in the higher margin consumer sector and we have identified multiple points of strategic leverage that will benefit our other segments and operations, as well as DWR’s own growth plans,' Walker said."
TGT - YouTube Stars Sell Target to College Set
- "TODRICK Hall, Ann Le, Tiffany Garcia and Michael Balalis, a.k.a. Mikey Bolts, are unlikely to be household names in households of consumers in their 30s, 40s or 50s. But Target is hoping those monikers mean money as it seeks to reach members of the millennial generation who are shopping for apparel, electronics and home furnishings as they head to college."
- "Target is featuring the group, known for video clips they create for YouTube, in four online video shows. Composed of four episodes each, they will be available on Target’s YouTube channel."
Tesco - Appointment of Chief Executive Officer and Trading Update
- "Tesco plc announces that Dave Lewis will join the Board of Tesco on 1 October, 2014 as Chief Executive Officer in succession to Philip Clarke. Philip Clarke will continue as Chief Executive until that date when he will step down from the Board but will continue to be available to support the transition until the end of January 2015."
AMZN, BKS - Amazon Starts $9.99-a-Month Service for Unlimited E-Books
- "Amazon.com Inc. introduced a $9.99-a-month service for unlimited Kindle e-book downloads, letting customers devour books like they binge on TV services like Netflix Inc. and Amazon Prime.
- Kindle Unlimited includes more than 600,000 Kindle books and thousands of audiobooks from Audible Inc., Amazon said today in a statement. Readers can access titles like “The Hunger Games” and “The Lord of the Rings” without paying for them individually."
Below are key European banking risk monitors, which are included as part of Josh Steiner and the Financial team's "Monday Morning Risk Monitor". If you'd like to receive the work of the Financials team or request a trial please email .
European Financial CDS - Swaps across Europe were narrowly changed with one exception: Russia's Sberbank, which widened +35 bps to 265 bps.
Sovereign CDS – Sovereign swaps were little changed last week as the largest move came from Italy at +3 bps, while the average move was 0 bps.
Euribor-OIS Spread – The Euribor-OIS spread (the difference between the euro interbank lending rate and overnight indexed swaps) measures bank counterparty risk in the Eurozone. The OIS is analogous to the effective Fed Funds rate in the United States. Banks lending at the OIS do not swap principal, so counterparty risk in the OIS is minimal. By contrast, the Euribor rate is the rate offered for unsecured interbank lending. Thus, the spread between the two isolates counterparty risk. The Euribor-OIS spread tightened by 1 bps to 13 bps.
Tickers: PENN, GLPI, WYNN, DRH
- July 23: TRIP 2Q call (430pm)
- July 24:
- WYN 2Q call (830am) ; pw: Wyndham
- PNK 2Q call (9am) ; pw: 27759616
- LHO 2Q call (930am)
- RCL 2Q call (10am)
- PENN 2Q call (10am)
- HOT 2Q call (1030am) ; pw: 61542222
- AWAY 2Q call (4pm)
- LA June revs released
- July 25: PEB 2Q call (9am)
- July 29:
- IGT 2Q release
- GLPI 2Q call (10am)
- July 30:
- MGAM 2Q earnings
- MAR 2Q call (10 am) : , pw: 59383825
PENN & GLPI – The Iowa Supreme Court granted a motion for an emergency stay on the Argosy Casino's closure in Sioux City, Iowa and Argosy Sioux City, which was slated to close July 21, will be open until the Iowa Supreme Court sets a hearing date. The IRGC has until today to file resistance to the supreme court's stay.
Takeaway: Again, good news for PENN but don't they still need to show this in discontinued operations?
CWN:AX – Australia’s Crown Resorts Ltd is teaming up with a subsidiary of Chinese property developer Greenland Holding Group Co Ltd to bid for a casino resort in Brisbane. If their bid is successful, Crown will manage the integrated resort and will have an ownership interest in that part of the precinct.
Takeaway: Packard continues to play his hot hand.
SINO:PM – the company is progressing with the reorganization and name change to Premium Leisure Corporation. Following the reorganization of the gaming assets in Sinophil, which will be entitled to half of the earnings from gaming operations at City of Dreams Manila, Belle will own close to 90% of the future gaming arm. According to media reports, Belle Corp is expected to increase the public float of Sinophil/Premium Leisure Corporation ahead of the opening of City of Dream Manila phase one.
Takeaway: Belle Corp looking to capitalize on the media attention and investor interest in City of Dreams Manila.
MNTG – MTR Gaming Group, Inc. announced that, at its special meeting of stockholders, a majority of the outstanding shares of MTR’s common stock voted to approve the merger agreement with Eldorado HoldCo LLC.
Takeaway: The final step in the delayed merger.
WYNN – (Boston Globe) Wynn Resorts has offered the City of Boston $5 million for road improvements, $1 million upfront and $2.6 million annually, along with hiring preferences for city residents, as compensation to offset the possible effects of a planned hotel and gambling resort on the Mystic River waterfront in Everett. The offer is the richest deal Wynn offered to any community around the company’s planned resort, but far less than the $18 million annual payment promised to Boston by a rival applicant, Mohegan Sun, which is proposing a Revere casino. Wynn has won arbitration hearings with Chelsea and Somerville, settling compensation packages worth about $650,000 annually with each community as each city had asked for more. Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh last week announced that his administration would not participate in the arbitration, leaving the Massachusetts Gaming Commission in charge of setting the city’s compensation package
Takeaway: Boston is the city that initially didn't want a casino, but then fought to block casinos in neighboring towns, only to receive a surrounding city offer, but then walked away. Boston Mayor Walsh seemingly can't make up his mind...or is he simply playing the role of gadfly.
DRH - CEO Mark W. Brugger sold 40,000 shares of the stock on Wednesday, July 16th via a 10b5-1 transaction, at an average price of $13.05, and now owns 864,213 shares.
Takeaway: More insider selling in lodging
World Cup Betting – (SCMP) Police in Hong Kong and the neighbouring province of Guangdong in China seized $750 million ($96.7 million) in illegal World Cup bets, more than double the amount estimated to have been gambled on the previous tournament. Hong Kong police broke up 97 operations after raiding some 140 locations including bars and residential flats. A separate report recently cited Chinese authorities as saying that illegal gambling during the World Cup on the mainland was thought to have been a much as $3.9 billion
Takeaway: $3.9 billion, that's HKD 30.225bn or roughly one month of Macau GGR!
Japan Gaming Legislation – (Kyodo News) The Japanese government plans to set up a new body that could help speed up the process of opening the first casino resorts in Japan in time for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. Officials from various government agencies will come together to work on the matter, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters on a conference. According to a Japanese legislative memo, lawmakers give the clearest indication yet that they are interested in foreign casinos operators participating in integrated resorts.
The note mentions a “need to work with appropriate operators as well as the domestic industry”. The note also shows that an entry levy could be imposed on foreigners as well as locals were casinos to be legalized in Japan.
Takeaway: "Integrated resorts are widely viewed as a main feature of my growth strategy,” said Mr Abe when he visited Singapore’s casinos during an official visit to the Lion City in May.
Bermuda Gaming Expansion – Bermuda legislators have completed a draft of a bill that would regulate casino gaming in the territory, said Shawn Crockwell, Bermuda’s tourism minister. The legislation will be presented before the end of 2014, said Crockwell.
Cruise Lines Philippines Expansion – Carnival Corp., Royal Caribbean International and Norwegian Cruise Lines have expressed interest to help develop the Philippines as a cruise-ship destination, according to the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C.
Takeaway: Another Asian destination in focus.
Macau International Airport Traffic – Macau International Airport Co Ltd released 1H 14 statics which included a 10.7% increase in passenger traffic to over 2.61 million passengers and the handling of 1,206 aircraft private jet movements, an increase of nearly 30% over the same period last year. The rise in passenger volume was registered when two new routes, launched between here and Dalian in mainland China and between here and Siem Reap in Cambodia.
Takeaway: Decent passenger growth
Pearl River Delta Manufacturing – (SCMP) According to the Chinese Manufacturers’ Association of Hong Kong, 29.6% of Hong Kong manufacturers are likely to scale back their investment in the next three years, an increase of 2.7% over last year. The survey also shows that 32% of Hong Kong manufacturers with factories in the area were planning to move their factories to other areas with lower labor costs, namely Southeast Asia and remoter parts of Guangdong or other provinces in mainland China. The increase in labor costs is the main reason these Hong Kong based companies are retreating from the area. According to the Association Hairman Irons Sze, labor cost in the area have increased 10% to 15% every year.
Takeaway: A potential headwind for Macau mass gaming if manufacturing jobs move elsewhere.
Hedgeye remains negative on consumer spending and believes in more inflation. Following a great call on rising housing prices, the Hedgeye
Macro/Financials team is turning decidedly less positive.
Takeaway: We’ve found housing prices to be the single most significant factor in driving gaming revenues over the past 20 years in virtually all gaming markets across the US.
get free cartoon of the day!
Start receiving Hedgeye's Cartoon of the Day, an exclusive and humourous take on the market and the economy, delivered every morning to your inbox
By joining our email marketing list you agree to receive marketing emails from Hedgeye. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in one of the emails.