Price seems reasonable. Given low borrowing rate, deal should be very accretive, particularly with synergies included.
CONFERENCE CALL NOTES
- Property generated $41 EBITDA as of May 11 2011; in addition, at least $5 MM in purchasing synergies (e.g. insurance) is expected, which can improve margins.
- $1BN market; market grew 2% in 1Q 2011.
- #2 property in the market; similar customer type to Beau Rivage
- 13 acres of undeveloped land on the property - can be used for additional hotels/retail facilities
- Priced at 7.2x multiple including synergies and $44m in incremental capital
- Net debt will increase by 150-200MM to fund purchase net of jai lai sale in FL
- 560MM in RC availablity: 64% of commitments related to extended portion
- Plans to use extending portion of debt to fund purchase; non-extending portion of credit facility (330MM) will mature in May 2012.
- Completely unrelated to whether or not they buy Borgata
- 2,500 lot parking garage
- B Connected program will be deployed immediately after the acquisition is approved.
- Other BYD properties impact:
- Treasure Chest will benefit the most from this acquisition since it's pretty close and IP can give the local New Orleans customers a more destination-type experience.
- Shreveport property (Sam's Town) under pressure from Native American gaming in Oklahoma.
- Insurance market: stable to slightly decreasing
- $20MM D&A run rate; should use Blue Chip as a proxy
- $44MM Capex used:
- Will be spent across 10-12 months
- Slot product--pretty up-to-date; don't see much need for replacements
- De-leverages balance sheet by 50 bps
- Property Maintenance capex: 5-8MM
- Covenant risk not an issue
Wendy’s is a name that has divided the street of late. A recent upgrade has put some support under the stock but, overall, the intermediate term carries a fair degree of uncertainty for the concept. Longer-term, a more focused management team thanks to the long-overdue sale of Arby’s. Below, I go through some key initiatives being enacted by management and give my take on whether or not the initiative is progressing well or has positive implications for future earnings power.
Improvements completed to the core menu:
- Value, with the introduction of the My 99 Value Menu
- Salads, with the introduction of four premium entrée salads
- Fries, with the introduction of natural-cut fries with sea salt
HEDGEYE VIEW - A much needed upgrade that will benefit the perception of the Wendy’s brand!
Improvements in the pipeline to be done by year-end:
- Working to improve the core hamburgers line - Dave's Hot 'n’ Juicy cheeseburgers will be introduced 2H11.
- Working to improve chicken sandwiches; In 4Q11 will see the introduction an entirely new line of chicken sandwiches known as the Gold Chicken line, including new flavors and toppings, such as bruschetta with diced tomatoes, chopped basil and balsamic glaze. These sandwiches will also feature a new butter-toasted bun.
HEDGEY VIEW - This will be critical in developing incremental customer visits in 2H11. This should be a positive for comps as it is rolled out across the system.
Current sales trends as of the end of 1Q11: North America company-owned same-store sales turned positive in April, up 0.5%. Furthermore, the U.S. was stronger at up 1.1%. In the current quarter, Wendy’s restaurants are promoting the Bacon Mushroom Melt Hamburger or Flavored-Dipped Chicken Sandwiches. In June, Wendy’s introduced the new Berry Almond Chicken Salad and Wild Berry Tea.
HEDGEYE VIEW - I continue to believe that current trends remain in the 2-3% for WEN USA. Using a strategic pricing model initially implemented in 2010, WEN plans to raise prices in 2011.
REMODELS - An important part in pulling all the initiatives together will be upgrading the asset base of the concept. Management has been working on several new restaurant designs, with the intention of beginning the remodel process in 3Q11. They are currently testing four new restaurant designs and expected to have at least one of each open by late September, with expectations for an aggressive rollout program to begin in 2012.
HEDGEYE VIEW - I believe that the customer feedback is not working and that management is going back to the drawing board. I also believe that the success of the MCD units in Tampa, Florida has had an impact on what features management is ultimately seeking to implement at the remodels.
BREAKFAST - Wendy’s is trying very to participate in the fastest growing day-part of the QSR segment. Management has last communicated that they are making excellent progress on Wendy's breakfast program, and they are very encouraged with both sales and customer reaction to our new breakfast products.” Currently, the company is testing its products in six markets and has recently reduced couponing.
The breakfast expansion timeline:
- In 2H10 management launched the new breakfast menu in four test markets: Kansas City, Phoenix, Pittsburgh and Shreveport.
- In the first half of 2011, expanded breakfast into two additional markets: Louisville and San Antonio.
- Over the balance of 2011, the intention is to have more breakfast markets added.
- By the end of 2011, the intention is to have the breakfast menu in about 1,000 restaurants including approximately 600 franchise restaurants.
HEDGEYE VIEW - Longer term, we believe breakfast represents an opportunity to grow incremental system wide sales. In the short run, while customer awareness, trial and repeat purchase rates are all improving, the current level of sales are not supportive of a major roll-out, which could cause the company to fall short of the 1,000 unit goal.
SUMMARY - I like the long term potential for the Wendy’s as a standalone concept. While 2011 is a transition year, a short fall in a couple of the growth initiatives could lead to a short fall for the company being able to hit the double-digit EBITDA growth in 2012. At the very least it puts incremental pressure on core menu initiatives to incrementally more successful to make up for the short fall in the other initiatives.
The total percentage of successful long and short trading signals since the inception of Real-Time Alerts in August of 2008.
LONG SIGNALS 80.43%
SHORT SIGNALS 78.34%
The Macau Metro Monitor, June 16, 2011
MELCO CROWN GAINS CONTROL OF MACAU PROJECT Melco Crown Entertainment, WSJ, Channel News Asia
MPEL plans to pay the affiliate of eSun US$260 million for a 60% interest in the Cyber One Group, the developer of Macau Studio City (MSC), and will further pay New Cotai--an arm of U.S. investment firms Oaktree Capital Management L.P. and Silver Point Capital L.P which owns 40% of MSC--US$100 million in cash in three installments over two years. According to a person familiar with the situation, under a previous deal, MPEL was to receive 10% of mass GGR and 5% of VIP GGR.
MPEL CEO Lawrence Ho said, "We believe Macau Studio City’s existing land grant and previously completed site work will allow us to significantly expedite its construction timetable.”
ESun said a default notice from the Macau government regarding the lack of progress on the project was among its reasons for wishing to settle a multi-year dispute among the involved parties. Meanwhile, CapitaLand has sold its 20% interest in MSC to eSun for HK$658.7 million (S$104.5 million) to help resolve any disagreements. According to the terms of the settlement, the eSun-led joint venture and New Cotai will settle legal proceedings initiated against each other in Hong Kong without admitting liability, eSun said.
SINGAPORE BOARD: MARINA BAY SANDS CAN'T SELL SHOPPING MALL AT SINGAPORE RESORT UNTIL 2017 WSJ
Singapore Tourism Board's director of integrated resorts/business tourism development, Carrie Kwik said, "Marina Bay Sands Pte. Ltd., the successful bidder of the Marina IR, is not allowed to sell, transfer or dispose of its estate interest in Marina Bay Sands within the exclusivity period of 10 years. The approval of the Singapore government must be sought if the IR operator were to consider any sale or subdivision of the IR after that period."
A Marina Bay Sands spokesman said Leven's statements were "inadvertently made without reference to certain restrictions set out in the development agreement between Marina Bay Sands Pte. Ltd. and the Singapore Tourism Board."
Claims Drop 13k, Remain Flat on a Rolling Basis
Initial claims fell 13k last week, dropping to 414k. The 4-week average was unchanged, and claims remain higher than they were at the beginning of the year. We show below initial claims with the S&P and XLF. Over the last several years, the indices have climbed when claims are dropping, and held flat or pulled back when claims stagnate or rise. The tight correlation between market performance and Federal Reserve purchases is ominous heading into the end of QE2.
We track the 2-10 spread as a proxy for NIM. Thus far the spread in 2Q is tracking 11 bps tighter than in 1Q. This week's spread level of 259 bps compares to 257 bps last week.
Financials Subsector Performance
The chart below shows the price performance of subsectors over four durations.
Joshua Steiner, CFA
Notable news items and price action from the restaurant space as well as our fundamental view on select names.
- SBUX is broadening consumer access to mobile payment with the launch of a Starbucks for Android app.
- SBUX is shifting its source of milk for its NYC stores from Elmhurst Dairy in Queens to a non-union plant out of the City by the end of this week. The decision has been met with strong opposition in the City with elected officials and workers claiming that the move will cost 700 people their jobs.
- DIN was upgraded to Overweight from Neutral at JP Morgan.
- The space outperformed yesterday with BAGL, SONC and WEN the standouts. We would use this strength to pare back positions and even increase short exposure where appropriate.
- The UN Food Price Index is 20% higher than the level it was at during the 2008 crisis levels. The vast majority of global respondents to a survey by international aid agency Oxfam said they are no longer eating the same kind of food they did two years ago.
the macro show
what smart investors watch to win
Hosted by Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough at 9:00am ET, this special online broadcast offers smart investors and traders of all stripes the sharpest insights and clearest market analysis available on Wall Street.