• It's Here!

    Etf Pro

    Get the big financial market moves right, bullish or bearish with Hedgeye’s ETF Pro.

  • It's Here

    MARKET EDGES

    Identify global risks and opportunities with essential macro intel using Hedgeye’s Market Edges.

Takeaway: The bubble in illiquid, small cap stocks will only be clear in hindsight.

The Russell 2000 finished down -1.4% this past Friday, which of course was Ali-Bubble’s epic IPO day. It’s down another -1% today, bringing its total year-to-date decline to -2.4%.

Investors Long Illiquid Small Cap Stocks Treading On Thin Ice - thin2

While the bubble in illiquid, small cap stocks (over 50x trailing earnings) will only be clear in hindsight, we remain bearish of it in the meantime vs. big cap liquidity on the long side.

Investors Long Illiquid Small Cap Stocks Treading On Thin Ice - 09.22.14 russell 2000 chart

Tread carefully.