The table below lists our Investment Ideas as well as our Watch List -- a list of potential ideas that we are in the process of evaluating. We intend to update this table regularly and will provide detail on any material changes.
07/28/14 Monday Mashup: MCD, YUM and More
07/28/14 MCD: McLibel 2.0?
07/29/14 DRI: Light Gets In
07/31/14 YUM: Warning Shots Fired
Events This Week
Monday, August 4th
- KONA earnings call 4:30pm EST
- JMBA earnings call 5:00pm EST
- TXRH earnings call 5:00pm EST
Tuesday, August 5th
- TAST earnings call 8:30am EST
- BLMN earnings call 9:00am EST
- ARCO earnings call 10:00am EST
- DAVE earnings call 4:30pm EST
- FRGI earnings call 4:30pm EST
- PBPB earnings call 5:00pm EST
- CHUY earnings call 5:00pm EST
Wednesday, August 6th
- PZZA earnings call 10:00am EST
- THI earnings call 2:30pm EST
- GMCR earnings call 5:00pm EST
Thursday, August 7th
- WEN earnings call 9:00am EST
- EAT earnings call 10:00am EST
- JACK earnings call 11:30am EST
- IRG earnings call 5:00pm EST
Friday, August 8th
- MCD July sales and revenue release
Chart of the Day
Recent News Flow
Monday, July 28th
- JMBA announced an expansive franchise recruiting campaign in key markets where they plan to accelerate growth, including Atlanta, Miami, Dallas and specific East Coast markets.
- RRGB is celebrating its 500th new restaurant opening on Monday, August 4th when it opens in Milpitas, CA at the Great Mall of the Bay Area.
- DRI completed its sale of Red Lobster to Golden Gate Capital.
- PZZA announced it is celebrating the summer barbecue with its new Spicy Pulled Pork Pizza.
- DAVE elected David Mastrocola as Chairman of the Board of Directors. Mastrocola currently serves as Co-Founder and Advisory Chairman of Pleasant Lake Partners, LLC and previously served as a partner and Managing Director of Goldman Sachs.
Tuesday, July 29th
- CAKE celebrated National Cheesecake Day by offering any slice for half price.
Wednesday, July 30th
- No significant news.
Thursday, July 31st
- BWLD was upgraded to buy at Sterne Agee with a $176 PT.
- DRI announced a $500m accelerated buyback through Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo. A portion of the proceeds from the Red Lobster sale will be used to fund this.
- BAGL announced a quarterly dividend of $0.13 per share.
- WEN announced a quarterly cash dividend of $0.05 per share.
Friday, August 1st
- PZZA increased its quarterly dividend to $0.14, up from $0.125.
- CAKE opened a Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Reno, NV.
- BOBE management and the board refuted Sandell's proposals in a recent company presentation, calling the activist's suggestions "shortsighted."
The XLY (-1.8%) outperformed the SPX (-2.7%). On average, casual dining stocks (-2.9%) underperformed and quick service stocks (-1.7%) outperformed the XLY Index.
XLY Quantitative Setup
From a quantitative perspective, the sector turned bearish on an intermediate-term TREND duration.
Casual Dining Restaurants
Quick Service Restaurants