HEDGEYE RETAIL IDEAS LIST
EVENTS TO WATCH
- WWW - Earnings Call: 8:30am
- EBAY - Earnings Call: 5:00pm
- VFC - Earnings Call: 8:30am
FL, FINL, DKS - What Strategic Changes Are Running Stores Making?
- Ed Griffin-Co-owner, Fleet Feet Sports, Syracuse, N.Y.
- “'We are putting a ton of focus on apparel sales — and women’s in particular. We have hired apparel specialists...spread the footwear try-on areas throughout the store to better integrate apparel and accessories to create a more even flow of traffic.'"
- Lee Silverman-President, JackRabbit Sports, New York
- “'We’re putting a lot of effort into apparel. If we’re going to grow, it needs to be through apparel. We’re adjusting our store merchandising, replenishing, buying and sales techniques — there’s a lot to learn.'"
Takeaway: No surprise that that running specialty stores are looking to apparel to help fuel the next leg of growth. The running category hasn't exactly been knocking the cover off the ball over the past 12 quarters. On the other hand, athletic apparel has shown no signs of cooling off and would help some of these smaller concepts diversify at higher margins. But, it won't be easy with DKS and FL pushing in the same direction.
AdiBok - Adidas outperforms competition at FIFA
- "On the field of play, adidas outperformed all competitors: adidas outfitted yesterday's two finalists, World Champion Germany and runner-up Argentina, and is also the partner of adidas Golden Ball winner Leo Messi, adidas Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez, adidas Golden Glove winner Manuel Neuer. For the final, adidas supplied the Official Match Ball, brazuca Rio Final, outfitted the referees and ball kids and used the stadium boards to bring home its brand message 'all in or nothing'."
TGT - Target security officer fired after reporting shoplifting
- "Northington said Target officials told him that he had violated procedure by not filling out the proper paperwork before contacting the police, though he said his office had operated the same way for years. He said he also was told that he had been insubordinate for not seeking approval before calling police, though he said the standard practice was for him to act as needed."
HD - MakerBot and The Home Depot Bring MakerBot 3D Printers to homedepot.com and Select Stores
- "MakerBot and The Home Depot® announce a collaboration to bring MakerBot® Replicator® Desktop 3D Printers to customers on homedepot.com/makerbot and in 12 Home Depot stores in California, Illinois and New York beginning July 14, 2014. This is the first time The Home Depot has offered 3D printers for sale in its stores and will be a pilot program for MakerBot and The Home Depot."
ANF - ABERCROMBIE & FITCH ANNOUNCES PROPOSED REFINANCING OF CREDIT FACILITIES
- "Abercrombie & Fitch Co. today announced that it has initiated a process to refinance its existing credit facilities. The existing credit facilities consist of a $350 million unsecured Revolving Credit Facility maturing July 27, 2016 and a $150 million Term Loan A maturing February 23, 2017."
- "The new credit facilities are expected to consist of a $400 million Asset-Based Revolving Credit Facility and a $325 million Term Loan B maturing five and seven years after the closing date, respectively."
EBAY, BID - A Warhol With Your Moose Head? Sotheby’s Teams With Ebay
- "Starting this fall, most of Sotheby’s New York auctions will be broadcast live on a new section of eBay’s website. Eventually the auction house expects to extend the partnership, adding online-only sales and streamed auctions taking place anywhere from Hong Kong to Paris to London."