***McGough on the road, takeaways by Richards
EVENTS TO WATCH
- GPS - Investor Meeting: Wednesday 4/16, 1:00 pm
- LULU - Analyst Day: Thursday 4/17, 12:00 pm
ICSC - Chain Store Sales Index
Only the 4th time all year we've seen the YY growth rate ahead of 2013. The timing of the Easter holiday this year provided a much needed shot to the arm, but there is still a lot of ground that needs to be made up.
DSW - DSW Inc. Acquires Interest in Town Shoes of Canada
- " DSW Inc. and Town Shoes Limited announced today that they have entered into a definitive agreement whereby DSW Inc. will purchase for cash approximately 44% interest in Town Shoes, the largest footwear and accessories retailer in Canada, for CAD $68 million (or approximately $62 million based on current exchange rates). The transaction has been approved by each company's Board of Directors and is expected to close in May 2014, subject to customary closing conditions."
- "Town Shoes is the market leader in branded footwear in Canada, with sales of CAD $291 million in its fiscal year ending January, 2014. Town operates 182 locations across Canada primarily under The Shoe Company, Shoe Warehouse and Town Shoes banners."
- "DSW Inc. is purchasing its initial 44% stake from AIMCo and may acquire additional shares from certain other minority shareholders as part of its initial investment. Additionally, DSW Inc. will have the right to purchase the balance of Town Shoes from the remaining shareholders, including Callisto Capital, after four years at a pre-determined EBITDA multiple. Callisto, on behalf of itself and the remaining shareholders, has the right to put the balance of the company to DSW Inc. after three years at a pre-determined EBITDA multiple. DSW Inc.'s initial stake provides 50% voting control and board representation, both of which are equal to that of Callisto."
- "The transaction, which the company anticipates to record under the equity method, is expected to be slightly accretive to earnings in 2014, excluding one-time transaction expenses."
Takeaway: This move gives DSW an entry point into the Canadian market. Town shoes operates 182 stores in Canada under two different banners - Town Shoes and The Shoe Company.
LB - Victoria’s Secret Moves Show to London
- "Victoria’s Secret will hold its next show in London, the lingerie giant said today. The event is set to take place at London’s Earl’s Court on Dec. 2."
- "Victoria’s Secret models Adriana Lima and Candice Swanepoel joined the label’s chief marketing officer Ed Razek to announce the move at the Victoria’s Secret store on London’s New Bond Street Tuesday morning."
Takeaway: The brand is beginning to build its international footprint. Moving the show to London makes sense in light of the company's push into that market. It should help create some buzz around in one of Vicky's newest markets.
HMB - H&M Sales Rise 13% in March
- "Hennes & Mauritz AB said total sales in local currencies jumped by 13 percent in March as the chain continued its global store rollout."
- "The Swedish fashion retailer provided only a percentage figure, and no longer breaks out same-store sales data. Total sales include value added taxes."
- "H&M noted its store network comprised 3,216 locations on March 31 versus 2,853 on the same date in 2013."
SHOO - Steve Madden Revamps Digital Flagship
- "…The newly revamped stevemadden.com, which puts social commerce front and center and seeks to capitalize on the rapid rise of mobile shopping. The site, which saw its last major overhaul in 2006, is part of a significant digital push for the company, said founder Steve Madden…"