SHENZHEN AND MACAU TO STRENGTHEN TOURISM COOPERATION macaunews.com.mo
The tourism authorities of Macau and Shenzhen will carry out joint promotions in Taiwan, South Korea and Japan in 2010. In July, the two tourism authorities will meet again to discuss details about the establishment of a mechanism for management of tourism and information exchange. The two sides also agreed to publish a joint brochure to promote Macau-Shenzhen as multi-destination.
In 2008, Macau received 22.9 million tourists and Shenzhen roughly 60 million both foreigners and Chinese.
AIRLINES CUTTING BACK ON SERVICE TO MACAU scmp.com
The financial crisis has brought significant cuts to the number of flights serving Macau, as carriers struggle to respond to the massive drop in cargo volumes and passenger traffic.
China Eastern Airlines has cancelled all of its scheduled flights to and from the gaming hub in the first three months of the year, compared with an already dismal 67.7% cancellation rate in the second half of last year, figures from the Macau Civil Aviation Authority show.
In the first quarter, Fujian-based Xiamen Airlines slashed 59% of Macau flights, with Malaysia Airlines and debt-laden East Star, a private carrier, cutting 38% and 40% of their Macau flights, respectively. Troubled carrier Air Macau cancelled 9% of its flights in the first quarter.
Aviation Authority president Simon Chan Wing-hung said, in a written reply to local legislators, that the cancellations were not solely caused by the effects of the financial crisis. Mr. Chan also points out that the increase in the number of flights between the mainland and Taiwan had an effect on Macau flights.
In the first four months of the year, passenger traffic in Macau fell 21.7 per cent from a year ago, while cargo volumes plummeted 65.7 per cent, according to figures from Macau International Airport. Aircraft movements have declined 22.4 per cent over the same period.
MACAU CONFIRMS TWO MORE CASES OF A H1N1 FLU TAKING TOTAL CASES TO THREE scmp.com
Macau's Department of Health confirmed another two cases of swine flu over the weekend, taking the total of infected people in the territory to three. One of the new cases was a female flight attendant from Viva Macau that flew to Sydney, Jakarta, and Tokyo between June 16 and 18. The second case was detected at Kiang Wu Hospital, a private healthcare unit in Macau, and was a 54 year-old man who had recently stayed in Toronto for 17 days.
Despite the third confirmed case, the level of alert remains on "five" as all cases so far have been imported from abroad.
NG AND LEI PARTNER TO RUN FOR LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY ELECTION macaudailytimes.com
Ng Sek Io and Lei Kin Iun have teamed up to run for the Legislative Assembly's directly elected seats. The two delivered their voters' signatures to the Public Administration and Civil Service Bureau (SAFP) on Friday to confirm their legitimate existence but the list of candidacy has not yet been confirmed, according to the Va Kio Journal.
Ng Sek Io, the director of the United Free Union of Gaming and Construction Workers of Macau, told Macau Daily Times via the telephone that he will probably be the first candidate and Lei the second candidate.