Galaxy beat our 2Q EBITDA estimate and we were high on the Street. High mass hold and controlled corporate costs were the driving factors.
"We are very pleased to report improving financial results across the business and that Phase 2 of Galaxy Macau™ remains on schedule. The Group also expanded its existing Cotai landbank with the strategic purchase of the Grand Waldo Complex. We also strengthened our balance sheet by prepaying a significant portion of our bank borrowings. I am particularly delighted that the half year culminated in the Group being included as a constituent of the Hang Seng Index. Looking into the future, Macau's prospects for the remainder of 2013 and beyond continue to be bright. We believe that our development pipeline for Phases 2, 3 and 4 plus the Grand Waldo Complex on Cotai position us well for continued growth."
- Dr. Lui Che-woo, Chairman of GEG
- Galaxy Macau: opened new premium mass Pavilion club, will open new VIP room in late Q3
- Starworld: all-time record in mass; opened new premium mass room, made some shifting in VIP rooms
Q & A
- Sands Cotai Central competition: all operators have benefited from SCC opening, including Galaxy Macau
- Galaxy Macau revenue growth: visitation has grown especially in mass segment
- Galaxy Macau Phase 2 capex: YTD over a billion dollars; have spent $2.8 BN of $19.6BN budget; significant ramp-up in capital outflow at the end of this year and 2014.
- Henquin Island: Galaxy looking at it
- 2Q Hold adjusted EBITDA: refused to give it given 'no standardized definition'; wants analysts to focus on the volume growth
- GM Phase 3/4: combined capex HK$60-80BN -start the project out with the arena and construction could start at end of year/ early 2014.
- Net cash $5 billion before Waldo acquisition
- Took Waldo tables and employed them at other properties
- Table mix: 1/3 VIP, 2/3 MASS; 3Q 2013 will have a little more VIP tables
- GM Phase 2 table count: working closely with govt
- GM Phase 3/4: some gaming
- Starworld: VIP RC - tables yielding better, redesigned new VIP room, more rewards, 16 VIP operators down from 17; Q3TD is very positive
- Non-gaming revenue decline: accounting adjustment - reclassification of travel-related revenue; Starworld disruption at L16
- No fees with prepayment of loan