THE M3: DEC GGR; GENTING MANILA; S'PORE BANK LOANS

The Macau Metro Monitor, December 30, 2011

 

 

MACAU CASINOS TO RAKE OVER MOP268 BILLION IN 2011 Macau Business

According to Portuguese news agency Lusa, Macau gross gaming revenue for 2011 was over MOP268 BN (US$33.5BN). Casinos will post around MOP24 BN (HKD23.3 BN) in GGR in December, up 27% YoY.

 

GENTING TO BUILD 2ND CASINO Manila Standard Today

Star Cruises Ltd. of Genting Malaysia Bhd., co-operator of the country’s largest casino, and local partner Alliance Global Group Inc. plan to start building their second gambling resort in Pasay City next year to meet demand.  “We are confident that there is a market,” Alliance president Kingson Sian said.  The second project, called Resorts World Bayshore, follows the existing Resorts World.

 

Genting and Alliance’s venture, Travellers International Hotel Group, will build a 31-hectare gaming complex in Pasay City after winning one of four casino operator licenses the Philippines issued in 2008 and 2009.  Belle Corp., Bloomberry Investments Holding Inc. and Japan’s Universal Entertainment Corp. are also building casinos under the licenses.

 

Bayshore Manila will be the company’s second integrated tourism estate. It is three times the size of Resorts World Manila.

 

LOCAL BANK LENDING PICKS UP PACE AGAIN IN NOVEMBER Strait Times

Bank loans expanded by 2.3% in November from the preceding month, according to central bank data on Dec 30.  In comparison, October's rise was only 0.3% - the slowest rate of growth since July 2010.  Before October, total bank loans had averaged about 2.6% growth this year.



Cartoon of the Day: Hard-Headed Bears

How's this for "hard data"? So far, 107 of 497 S&P 500 companies have reported aggregate sales and earnings growth of 4.4% and 13.2% respectively.

read more

Premium insight

McCullough [Uncensored]: When People Say ‘Everyone is Bullish, That’s Bulls@#t’

“You wonder why the performance of the hedge fund indices is so horrendous,” says Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough, “they’re all doing the same thing, after the market moves. You shouldn’t be paid for that.”

read more

SECTOR SPOTLIGHT Replay | Healthcare Analyst Tom Tobin Today at 2:30PM ET

Tune in to this edition of Sector Spotlight with Healthcare analyst Tom Tobin and Healthcare Policy analyst Emily Evans.

read more

Ouchy!! Wall Street Consensus Hit By Epic Short Squeeze

In the latest example of what not to do with your portfolio, we have Wall Street consensus positioning...

read more

Cartoon of the Day: Bulls Leading the People

Investors rejoiced as centrist Emmanuel Macron edged out far-right Marine Le Pen in France's election day voting. European equities were up as much as 4.7% on the news.

read more

McCullough: ‘This Crazy Stat Drives Stock Market Bears Nuts’

If you’re short the stock market today, and your boss asks why is the Nasdaq at an all-time high, here’s the only honest answer: So far, Nasdaq company earnings are up 46% year-over-year.

read more

Who's Right? The Stock Market or the Bond Market?

"As I see it, bonds look like they have further to fall, while stocks look tenuous at these levels," writes Peter Atwater, founder of Financial Insyghts.

read more

Poll of the Day: If You Could Have Lunch with One Fed Chair...

What do you think? Cast your vote. Let us know.

read more

Are Millennials Actually Lazy, Narcissists? An Interview with Neil Howe (Part 2)

An interview with Neil Howe on why Boomers and Xers get it all wrong.

read more

6 Charts: The French Election, Nasdaq All-Time Highs & An Earnings Scorecard

We've been telling investors for some time that global growth is picking up, get long stocks.

read more

Another French Revolution?

"Don't be complacent," writes Hedgeye Managing Director Neil Howe. "Tectonic shifts are underway in France. Is there the prospect of the new Sixth Republic? C'est vraiment possible."

read more