THE M3: JACOBS SUIT HEADS TO VEGAS; LAND RECLAMATION TENDERS; SJM HENGQIN; S'PORE HOTEL AFTERSHOCK

The Macau Metro Monitor, March 15, 2011

 

SETBACK FOR SANDS IN MACAU SUIT WSJ

A district judge rejected pleas by LVS to dismiss Jacobs' suit against his former employer.  Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez of Las Vegas said that there was sufficient evidence of influence from Las Vegas on Macau operations to justify Nevada court jurisdiction. Sands China attorneys will decide shortly on whether to appeal the ruling.  Meanwhile, the judge said that the case will proceeds towards settlement talks.

TENDERS SOUGHT FOR LAND RECLAIMATION AND HOUSING www.macaudailytimes.com.

Macau’s Infrastructure Development Office (GDI) will launch three public tenders today and run through May 3rd, two for the construction of public housing in Seac Pai Van and another one for the land reclamation project in the peninsula’s northeast. The PRC State Council approved Macau’s 3.5 square kilometre land reclamation plan in 2009 which included five areas of claimed land situated in the Macau peninsula’s northeast (A), south of Avenida Sun Yat Sen (NAPE - B) and North of Taipa island (C, D and E). 

"Area A” is set to be ready before 2016 and will be the link between the territory and the artificial island of the Zhuhai-Macau-Hong Kong Bridge. Zones A and B are planned mainly for road infrastructure, tourism and recreation facilities, parks and green areas, public buildings and commercial and residential neighbourhoods.  Meanwhile, in zones C, D and E, located in northern Taipa, land will be used for public and community facilities, transport infrastructure, commercial and residential districts and for diverse industries’ projects. Local officials have guaranteed that no gaming developments will take place in the new areas.  The public tender for the second and third phases of the Seac Pai Van housing complex, in Coloane, will have a total of 932 apartments

SJM HOLDINGS INTERESTED IN HENGQIN ISLAND www.macaubusiness.com

SJM Holdings chief executive Ambrose So Shu Fai was quoted saying that while the company is interested in investing in Hengqin Island that they do not have any concrete development plans.

ECONOMIC AFTERSHOCKS HIT SINGAPORE HOTELS www.businesstimes.com.sg

Several major hotels, including the 2 IR's, have and continue to receive reservation cancellations in the aftermath of the disaster in Japan.  All the hotels that responded to The Business Times said that they would be waiving cancellation  fees.  So far the impact on the two IR's seems immaterial.  RWS saw hotel room cancellations from at least 31 affected guests since Sunday, said Lee Sin Yee, spokesman for the resort, but no cancellations of conventions or meetings organised by Japanese corporations so far. Marina Bay Sands declined to disclose how many disaster-related hotel room cancellations it has received so far.