Notable news items and price action over the past twenty-four hours.
- MCD joined Tesco and Diageo in signing a U.K. health deal put in place by the government. The deal involves better labeling and ingredients aimed at improving the nation’s health.
- McDonald's has 3,302 restaurants in Japan. As of this date, the vast majority of the restaurants are open; fewer than 300 remain closed due to damage or staffing issues.
- BJRI gained on strong volume. It was the only restaurant stock we monitor that did so yesterday.
- CBRL, DIN, and CPKI all declined on accelerating volume, as did CHUX.
- SBUX, TAST, and BAGL also declined on strong volume.
- According to Technomic, the top 10 restaurant chains ranked by their percentage increase in sales from 2009 to 2010 are:
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries at 38%
- Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop at 22%
- Chipotle Mexican Grill at 21%
- BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse at 20%
- Yard House at 18%
- Cheddar’s Casual Cafe at 14%
- Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar at 14%
- Firehouse Subs at 14%
- Noodles & Co. at 14%
- Panda Express at 13%